Hazelnuts and chocolate partner in this lush dessert, finished with a touch of fruit to make a gorgeous summer treat. Feel free to adjust the balance of milk and dark chocolate to your own preference.
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 2 ounces butter melted
- Chocolate Filling
- 6 ounces dark chocolate pieces
- 2 ounces milk chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar plus extra for dusting
- 7 ounces whipping cream
- To Serve:
- 3 tablespoons crème fraiche or Mascarpone optional
- raspberries, blueberries, or other berries of choice
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Course: Dessert
- Combine the hazelnuts and sugar.
- Lightly oil tart cases or muffin trays.
- Lay a sheet of filo on a dry board, brush with butter and sprinkle lightly with the hazelnut mixture. Top with another sheet of filo and repeat process so there are 6 layers, ending with a sheet of pasty brushed with butter only.
- Cut sheets to size to fit individual tart pans or muffin tray. Gently snuggle into pans and bake at for 8.10 minutes or until golden browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, place chocolate in a large microwave proof bowl or in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (not touching water). Melt in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on medium, stirring halfway through, or over water, stirring until melted. Stir in the vanilla extract, then sift over the powdered sugar, and stir through. Whip the cream until it just holds peaks, then fold into the melted chocolate. Pour into the pastry cases, and smooth the top. Chill for at least 2 hours or for up to 2 days.
Related Recipe: Berry and Chocolate Tarts with Hazelnut Pastry
Photography credit: Andy Berry