This chocolate orange pudding pie is the perfect easy Thanksgiving dessert—rich chocolate flavor with just a touch of orange essence. The sweet and crunchy pretzel crust gives you that perfect sweet and salty bite.
- For the crust:
- 2-1/2 cups finely crushed pretzels
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract more can be used if desired
- pinch kosher salt
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Yield: 6-8 slices
- Course: Dessert
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a food processor, crush your pretzels until they reach the consistency of graham cracker crumbs. Add crumbs to a medium mixing bowl.
- Pour in melted butter, dark brown sugar and orange zest. Mix until completely combined.
- Press into pie pan and bake for 10 minutes. Cool until crust reaches room temperature.
- For the filling: In a medium sized saucepan set over medium-high heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and cocoa powder. Slowly whisk in milk to combine. Continue whisking until the mixture starts to boil (as the mixture boils it will start to thicken).
- Keep cooking and whisking until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Once thick, remove the pudding from the stove and stir in butter, orange extract and salt.
- Let thickened mixture cool slightly and then pour into the prepared pie pan. Spread out evenly and cool in the refrigerator for at least one hour, or until firm.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cocoa powder.