Make this outrageous breakfast only for friends and family you want to have over regularly: once served this, they’re likely to grace your door frequently. Top with warm maple syrup or honey.
- 3 tablespoons + 4 teaspoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 large apples such as Gala, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese about 1/2 cup
- 4 (1 1/4-inch thick) slices brioche or challah bread
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Maple syrup or honey for serving
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Breakfast
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the apples, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender but still hold their shape, 7 - 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool 10 minutes. Stir in the mascarpone.
- Place the slices of bread flat on the work surface and cut a horizontal slit in each to form a pocket. Stuff the pocket with the apple mixture.
- Whisk the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, eggs, milk, and salt in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Wipe out the skillet and return to the stove over medium heat. Melt 2 teaspoons of the remaining butter. Dip two of the bread slices in the egg mixture and add to the skillet. Cook until golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining butter and bread slices.