Orange is such a versatile flavor. Sandwich these orange meringue cookies with white chocolate ganache to keep it light and refreshing or fill with dark chocolate ganache for a fall cookie to add to your Thanksgiving table. These cookies are the perfect sweet all year-round!
- Yield: 18-24 cookies
- Course: Dessert
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Combine egg whites, granulated sugar and orange extract in a heatproof bowl.
- Set bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch. *Tip: If you stick your finger in the mixture, count to 5 and say “oh, that’s hot”, then it is ready!*
- Add salt and cream of tartar.
- In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks from and meringue is cooled.
- Remove half of the meringue from mixing bowl which will remain white.
- Leave the other half of the meringue in mixing bowl, with the whisk attachment beat on medium-high speed, and add orange gel paste food coloring to achieve desired color
- Fit a duo icing bag with coupler and desired tip.
- Place the white meringue in one cavity of the piping bag and the orange meringue in the other cavity.
- Pipe 2 inch circles on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake meringues until crisp on the outside, about 1 hour and 30 minutes - 2 hours. This can take longer depending on weather conditions.
- Cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Fill and sandwich cookies when ready to serve.
Related recipe: White Chocolate Ganache