Take your summer celebrations to a new level with this red, white and blue swirl cake. Vanilla cake topped with cream cheese glaze and colorful cake crumb “sprinkles” is sure to become a new summer tradition!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup or 8 ounces unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Yield: 1 10-inch cake
- Course: Dessert
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray 10-inch fluted mold pan well with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix on medium speed until incorporated. Alternate adding dry ingredients with milk and extracts, starting and ending with dry ingredients.
- Divide batter evenly into 3 separate bowls (this will be about 18 ounces of batter in each bowl) and color one red and one blue, leaving the remaining as is.
- Start filling the prepared pan by adding 1 heaping tablespoon of red batter in the pan. Next, place a heaping tablespoon of white batter directly on top of the red. Next, place a heaping tablespoon of blue batter right on top of the white. Keep repeating this process until you have used all the batter. You will keep spooning batter right on top of each other. There is no need to spread it out, as you keep filling, the batter will spread out on its own. When you have filled the pan, you can give the pan a gentle shake, if needed, to even out the batter.
- Bake the cake for 55-65 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Cake is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for about 10 minutes and then invert cake onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make red, white and blue cake crumb sprinkles, turn completely-cooled cake over. With a serrated knife, trim the crust off the bottom of the cake and dispose (you will not need this). Next, trim a very thin layer off the bottom of the cake (this is also helpful to level the cake before placing on a cake stand or plate). Crumble up that layer into crumbs and set aside to decorate the cake. Turn cake right side up and continue on to making the cream cheese glaze.
- To make the cream cheese glaze, cream the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add the extract followed by milk, one teaspoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. Spoon the glaze on top of cake and spread gently with a spatula. Garnish with cake crumbs.