This strawberry cake is not made with Jell-o or food coloring so don’t be surprised when it comes out of the oven and is not bright pink. This cake still packs a mean strawberry kick. The top of the cake does not dome and the crumb is very tender due to the amount of fruit preserve and fresh fruit. Add a layer of jam between layers or in the center of the cupcake and top with a delicious whipped cream frosting to really capture the lightness of the crumb.
- 4.5 Cups Cake Flour Plus more for the pan
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1-1/2 Cups Buttermilk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter Room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs Whole
- 1 Cup Strawberry Jam
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Strawberries Medium, diced
- Yield: 9.5 cups (65 ounces) or two 8-inch rounds
- Course: Dessert
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter or oil baking pan, line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter paper and dust baking pan with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, and vanilla extract in another bowl, and set aside.
- Beat butter, oil, and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed and add whole eggs one at a time, scraping down mixer bowl between each addition. Mix until combined.
- Add strawberry jam and diced strawberries on low speed until incorporated.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s), and smooth top with a spatula. Bake at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before unmolding.
- To unmold, run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen cake sides, invert cake to release from pan. Cool completely before decorating.
Related Recipe: Crème Fraîche-Spiked Cream Cheese Frosting / Filling