What could be more appropriate for any occasion than a beautifully decorated sugar cookie to match the theme or the colors of the party? Be creative with your color selection and the shapes of the cookies; add edible sprinkles, edible glitter or edible silver beads to accent the cut-out sugar cookies.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar. Cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to incorporate. Scrape down the bowl well and beat again to insure all ingredients are incorporated and not lumpy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix together on low speed until a stiff smooth dough forms. Do not over mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and pat the dough into a flat disk 1 inch thick.
- Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to ¼ inch thick. Cut out desired shapes. Place the cut out shapes onto the parchment lined cookie sheets about 1 inch apart; cookies will expand slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 8-12 minutes depending on the size and shapes of the cookies, or until the edges start to brown lightly. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool until firm before transferring to a rack and cooling completely.
- Frost and decorate with royal icing if desired. Here's our recipe for royal icing.