Take your brownies up a notch with indulgent espresso-spiked brownies!
- Coffee Brownies
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter + additional for pan softened
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour + additional for dusting
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Yield: 16 brownies and shooters
- Course: Dessert
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Brush a 9-inch square baking pan with additional softened butter and dust with a little additional flour to coat.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer over medium heat. Place the unsweetened chocolate, butter and espresso powder in a bowl and set over the water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the sugar, eggs, and extract in a separate bowl and mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. Whisk the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture until combined. Pour into the prepared pan and spread to an even thickness.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 36-38 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack at least 30 minutes. Carefully remove brownies from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut brownies with a serrated knife in to 16. Place the semi-sweet chocolate in a small glass bowl and microwave in 5-8 seconds bursts, stirring chocolate in between until melted. Transfer the chocolate to a small plastic bag with one corner snipped off and drizzle over the brownies. Place in the refrigerator to allow chocolate to set.